Saturday, September 11, 2010

Sidetracking a little bit

Sorry for not posting in a while y'all. College has been pretty crazy as I have been playing "catch up" from missed classes. College has provided me with a couple interesting topics though so I am sidetracking from my progressive posts for a little bit to talk about some of the things we have discussed in my Ethics class (fun fun fun).

I have only been to one class so far, but it was quite the experience I must say. It was really fun actually, and I mean that. We talked about numerous topics, but the main thought and topic through the whole class was the topic of Hedonism vs. Deontology. Hedonism, when it's broken down really simply, is the belief that the purpose of life is to be happy and the happier you are the better your life is. Deontology is the belief that a good life is about doing the right thing even if it doesn't always make you happy. So you have hedonism: Pursue pleasure and avoid pain. And Deontology: your moral duty supersedes your selfish desires.

Most of our discussion was on whether or not someone could do something kind, caring, or loving without it being selfishly motivated. People argued that yes you could and then others said no you couldn't and it got all kinds of crazy. It got to the point where people were saying even if you do something to help someone else and it gains you nothing or even hurts you in some way that you still did it because not doing it would have made you feel guilty and that wouldn't have made you happy so that would have been painful so you did it even though you didn't want to and it caused you pain because.....you didn't want to cause yourself pain.

Does that sound conflicting to you?

Anyway the debate continued and for the most part I was listening and trying to gather my thoughts before I said anything, but it got to a point where I just had to speak up. I got my chance to speak and explained that I was a christian. Then I offered the suggestion that there could be a different motivation than just trying to make yourself happy or trying to avoid pain and that was simply grace motivation. Well that threw a lot of people for a loop. Then I brought up Jesus Christ and how I believe, as a christian, that he lived a perfect sinless life, died on the cross to redeem everyone that would call on him, and then rose again so that we might live with him forever. I asked if they thought that His act of dying on the cross could be motivated by selfish motive or that he could have done it just to make himself feel good. One guy chimed in and said "Dude, you said he died for the whole world. If I was gonna die for the whole world, I would be feeling pretty good about myself..."

I was about to bring up the fact that Jesus SWEAT BLOOD in the garden of Gethsemane because he knew he would soon be delivered up to die on the cross, but I never got my chance to speak again. Do you think though, that someone who was sweating blood because of the stress of knowing he was going to die soon was dying because he wanted to make himself feel good?

It was a great debate really. I really enjoyed it and I think God is really going to use me in this class. People without Jesus as their savior are lost y'all and for the hour and twenty minutes I spent with those people it was plain to see that although they like to think they know what they believe, they really don't. Their beliefs about God, ethics, and moral standards are vague at best and they contradict themselves so often. It's understandable though, they don't have The Truth so they don't know what to believe or what to trust. How can they? They have nothing to measure against or look to for actual truth.

This is what I'm getting at here guys, especially any of you who are going to college or are going to public school: you have a great opportunity to show people truth! Along with love, care, and a true passion for Christ if you are able to share with someone, whether it's person to person or in your classroom or whatever, the truth of Jesus Christ and what that means in your life it WILL amaze people! Trust me, the people in my class were like "This kid is what? 17? 18? and he's talking like he really knows something I don't....what is that?" They didn't say that in words exactly, but I could tell by their faces that they were having a hard time wrapping their heads around the idea of grace motivation and the concept of living your life for something more than yourself. And it's not like I am some kind of amazing speaker or that I have any special gift for persuading people, any of you who know me know I am not real smooth when it comes to speaking, but God will work through you. The Holy Spirit empowers and will give you words to speak.

So, if you get the chance to share the Truth with someone or a lot of someones then DO IT! You will be amazed at what God will do through you. That's all folks! Thanks for reading.

5 comments:

  1. Wow... you never cease to amaze me Ian. Thats so awesome, and very encouraging. Esp since I have started public school. You wouldn't believe some of the things people talk about, then they lean over to one of their friends and go "hey you going to church tonight?" I'm just like did you hear what you were talking about 30 seconds ago?! anyways we can talk more about this another time.. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow; sounds crazy! Hope you make it through the year :D Keep standing up for God.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow great post! The funny thing is I was just listening to the song Truth by Lecrae haha (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rae, call me up or send me an e-mail cause I know exactly where you are coming from.

    Thanks Katelyn =).

    Ohh! Good song Kayla! Love that song =D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love those kinds of debates.
    But - and bear with me if I sound like an idiot - could you define 'grace motivation' a little further? I've never heard that phrase before. I guess I can kind of assume what it entails, but you know what happens when you assume.

    ReplyDelete